Category Archives: AEDs in Gyms

Sudden Cardiac Arrest Can Occur In Kids

Cheer Banner

Jill was a normal, active young girl whose life ended way too soon. She was ecstatic about being selected to be on her school’s cheerleading squad. One day at cheerleading practice, she collapsed and died instantly. The autopsy revealed that she had a heart abnormality that had never been detected. Needless to say, this was a tremendous shock to her family and friends (story by SCA-aware.org). An AED equipped with pediatric pads could have potentially saved Jill’s life. Continue reading Sudden Cardiac Arrest Can Occur In Kids

New Study Says Preparation Can Prevent Cardiac Arrest Fatalities in High School Athletes

athlete

 

Last week, Dr. Jonathan Drezner of the University of Washington in Seattle presented findings at the National Trainers’ Association regarding survival outcomes for high school student athletes who suffered cardiac arrest. Dr. Drezner and his team conducted a two-year long observational study of 2,149 high schools. During those two years, 59 sudden cardiac arrests occurred. Of these cases, students comprised 26 or 44% of the incidents while adults made up the remaining 33 or 56% of cases. 71% of these 59 victims survived at least past their hospital discharge which is stunning compared to the 8% survival rate for patients who suffer cardiac arrest outside a hospital. Continue reading New Study Says Preparation Can Prevent Cardiac Arrest Fatalities in High School Athletes