Packed with omega 3’s, salmon has many heart-health benefits. The fatty acids found in salmon are excellent for inflammation, eye health, cardiovascular health, and cancer prevention. Healthy fats isn’t all salmon has to offer, other powerful properties include vitamin D and selenium. Grilling season is upon us and what better way to kick off the nice weather, than to grill up some cedar planked salmon! Your heart will thank you for it.
4 wild-caught salmon filets or steaks
fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon
maple syrup, 2 teaspoons
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
rosemary, dried, ½ teaspoon crushed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
scallions, 2 thinly sliced for garnish
lemon juice, fresh, 2 tablespoons
- Combine lemon juice, maple syrup, chili powder and rosemary and oil in a small bowl.
- Cover the salmon with the mixture and let it rest for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Slice scallions.
- Pre-heat your grill at medium-high heat.
- Place the plank on the center of the grill and sprinkle cedar plank with kosher salt.
- Close the grill lid for a few minutes so top of plank dries slightly.
- Place the salmon in the center of the plank, leaving at least one-inch between the fish and the edge of the plank.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Close grill lid and cook for approximately 15 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Use a spray bottle to quench any fire on the edge of the plank.
- When cooked, put on serving platter and garnish with scallions.
- Serve with the lemon juice / seasoning mixture as an optional garnish.
Grilled (vitamin B rich) asparagus, or (vitamin C rich) sweet potatoes, make an excellent side dish for cedar planked salmon. Enjoy!