Do you or your loved ones live in a high-rise complex? An increasing number of people do, which has been proven to add an additional challenge for out-of-hospital cardiac arrests.
21-year-old, Spencer Thomas is lucky to be alive, thanks to his friend’s stepdad, Jeff Nunes, who saved his life on November 5th. An all-star athlete in football and baseball for Oakdale High School and Modesto Junior College, Spencer was in top shape.
Yet on the evening of Nov 5th, as he watched a sports game with his buddies at the Nunes house, he fell victim to Sudden Cardiac Arrest. Fortunately, Jeff Nunes, who has taken a CPR course every year for his lineman job at Pacific Gas & Electric Co. was in the next room.
Are you curious why non-Pre-Market Approved devices are being so heavily discounted?
To view devices that are still compliant to the FDA’s ruling and the PMA, click here.
Q: Why are some distributors still selling these devices in the U.S.?
A: Great Question. The FDA has taken the position that AED devices that have NOT filed for the PMA approval should NOT be sold in the U.S. market.As a result, it is our opinion that anyone purchasing one of these devices is opening themselves up to liability.
Saving two lives in 24 hours—all in a day’s work for School Resource Officer, Matt Schuman, who is being recognized for saving not only one, but TWO lives in a single day!
While Schuman was on duty at Dixie Middle School in Washington County, Utah, a student came down with flu-like symptoms, prompting the school nurse to notify the girl’s parents. Officer Schuman waited with the girl for her parents to arrive as her symptoms worsened. During a few minutes when the father left to take his daughter’s belongings to the car, the young girl suddenly collapsed and began to seize, no longer able to breathe. Schuman managed to catch the girl as she collapsed, preventing her head from hitting the floor.
Matt Schuman’s training kicked in as he began CPR until she regained consciousness. While waiting on EMS, the girl again lost consciousness, going into sudden cardiac arrest. Schuman and a parent present at the school continued to perform CPR until the ambulance arrived to use a defibrillator to reset the student’s erratic heart rhythm.
Later the same day, Schuman received a dispatch call on his way home that reported a 9-month-old infant was choking. He quickly responded, realizing he was very close to the infant’s home. Schuman worked to remove the object obstructing the airway, saving the child’s life, as EMS arrived on scene. (Full story here)
AED.com recommends that EVERY school have AEDs (automated external defibrillators) readily available. Students, Teachers or even visitors to the school could be the victim of a cardiac arrest emergency. Every minute without defibrillation decreases chance of survival by 10%. Having an AED available sooner than even EMS arrives dramatically improves a positive outcome.
Please visit DXEMed.com for additional information.
DXE Medical’s service pages are now available on DXEMed.com. These pages offer customers the option to add a one-time PM (Preventative Maintenance) service to their cart and check out at their convenience.
At least 1000 defibrillators in Ireland (10% of the country’s AEDs deployed in public places) urgently need to complete an important software update throughout hotels, sports venues and other businesses according to a recent article in the IrishTimes. The Health Products Regulatory Authority (HPRA) is urging all owners of automated external to defibrillators (AEDs) to check the status of every device to ensure readiness in case of emergency. Non-efficient AED maintenance in Ireland is likely to be similar in the United States as well.